Moena de Jong is an Amsterdam-based yoga teacher who has studied a variety of yoga traditions and lineages, ranging from Hatha to Vinyasa to Jivamukti. I invited her to the YAY!YOGA podcast as I visit her classes whenever I can and always leave feeling enriched and inspired by the way she structures her classes with music, dharma talks, pranayama and asanas. Her classes are a complete package of nutrients for the body, mind and soul. In this episode we talk about a lot of interesting topics such as Yoga Nidra, critical alignment, getting addicted to your practice, and the importance of holding space and creating a safe environment for students to practice.
Listen, subscribe and leave a review on Apple podcasts or Spotify.
Shownotes: stuff & people we talked about
- Yoga studios that were mentioned: Delight Yoga, Svaha Yoga & De Nieuwe Yogashool
- Jivamukti – a yoga ‘method’ that was created by Sharon Gannon and David Life in 1984. Their original New York studio is now closed, but the method is still highly popular and practiced around the world.
- Bhakti stems from the Sanskrit word ‘bhaj’ which is translated as ‘to worship’. In the ancient Hindu texts it is described as surrendering to the divine or the universal consciousness as part of the path to self-realisation.
- Neti – an ayurvedic nostril cleansing technique
- Agni Sara – a kriya helps to cleanse the system and is said to reduce stress as it activates the parasympathetic nervous system.
- Kapalabhati – another cleansing breath exercise that helps to wake up the body and mind as well as releases any toxins.
- Tsa Lung – a Tibetan breathing exercise that harmonises the vayus.
- Yoga Nidra – a form of meditation where you enter a state of consciousness that feels like being asleep but staying half awake. Depending on the intention and type of Nidra that is practised, you can work on different aspects such as healing, creativity and resting.
- Teachers that inspire Moena: David Life, Jules Febre & Rima Rabath.
- Book recommendations:
The Tree of Yoga by B.K.S. Iyengar
The Mirror of Yoga: awakening the intelligence of body and mind by Richard Freeman
The Myth of Freedom by John Baker, Chögyam Trungpa, Pema Chödrön & Marvin Casper
Connect with Moena de Jong
Did you enjoy this conversation? Make sure you subscribe to the YAY!YOGA podcast on Apple podcasts or Spotify and support this show by leaving a review. Want to hear more? Check out all the other episodes and shownotes here.