Lisa de Jong is an Ireland-based women’s health coach specialised in the menstrual cycle. Most of her work is about creating menstrual cycle awareness and in our conversation she explains exactly what that is, why it’s important and how you can start to connect more with your cycle even if you don’t have one at the moment. In this episode of the YAY!YOGA podcast we get very practical about balancing hormones through diet and lifestyle changes. Lisa speaks about her own healing journey through endometriosis, we discuss hormonal and non-hormonal birth control methods and cover way more hormones and cycle-related topics. Grab a pen and paper because Lisa shares a lot of valuable information and you might want to make some notes for yourself.
Shownotes: stuff & people we talked about
- WomanCode by Alisa Vitti – the book that initially helped Lisa a lot in her healing journey and can be a good start towards menstrual cycle awareness.
- Red School offers programs for people who’re interested in learning more about their menstrual cycle and the spiritual aspects of connecting with your cycle. It was founded by Alexandra Pope and Sjanie Hugo Wurlitzer, authors of the book Wild Power.
- Endometriosis often causes extreme period pain as a result of endometrial tissue growing outside of the uterus.
- Apps for cycle tracking that we mentioned: Clue, Natural Cycles & Flo.
- PCOS stands for polycystic ovary syndrome and is a condition that affects how a woman’s ovaries work. One of the main features of PCOS is having irregular periods.
- Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler: the Definitive Guide to Natural Birth Control, Pregnancy Achievement, and Reproductive Health.
- Estrogen dominance is when you have too much oestrogen in relation to progesteron or your progesteron is too low in relation to your oestrogen.
- Xenoestrogen is a type of xenohormone that imitates estrogen.
- The DUTCH test (Dried Urine Test for Comprehensive Hormones) if done with a specialist can help you determine whether you’re suffering from Estrogen dominance.
- Anam Cara: a book of Celtic Wisdom by John O’Donohue
Connect with Lisa de Jong
Did you enjoy this conversation? Make sure you subscribe to the YAY!YOGA podcast on Spotify or iTunes and support this show by leaving a review. Want to hear more? Check out all the other episodes and shownotes here.